Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Romantic Thoughts About Sabbath

I have a friend... a good friend... who seeks to follow Christ and teach her children to do the same... and she has started observing the Sabbath from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday.

So embracing my curiosity... I Googled Sabbath... and came across a website about Shabbat ... (the Jewish Sabbath).

My heart warmed as I read about such beautiful customs... I mean yes I was excited that there was blessed wine... but there is also a blessing on your children... Every week taking a snippet of time on a day set apart to lay hands on your beloved little ones and bless them.  Love it!

I also fell in love with the ritual of keeping the Challah (bread served at the Sabbath meal) covered as a lesson on preserving the feelings of our fellow human beings... (since the wine is blessed first the bread is covered so it doesn't feel lesser than).

While I probably will not become a strict observer of Shabbat weekly... I am considering incorporating some of these things into my own spiritual practices.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment